Join the New Issue Area Focused Working Groups from all the treaty body reviews and interational human rights mechanisms here!
The Universal Periodic Review of the United States is scheduled for 2015. In preparation, USHRN is coordinating working groups that are focusing on specific areas to advocate for at the UPR (full working group description and function here). The list below is subject to change and meant to help identify which area you are interested in contributing. Examples of topics that the working group will tackle are in parentheses.
To join a working group, fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
Working Group Categories
- Access to legal systems/criminal law/procedure (e.g., poverty, citizenship status)
- Discrimination (e.g., racial profiling, disability rights, stand your ground laws)
- Economic/fiscal issues (e.g., social security, cuts to federal programs)
- Environment (e.g., clean air and water)
- Health (e.g., healthcare as a human right, reproductive health)
- Housing/poverty (e.g., housing as a human right, homelessness)
- Immigration rights (e.g., ICE programs, immigration law reform)
- Indigenous Peoples' rights
- International mechanisms at the state and local level
- LGBTQ (e.g., marriage equality, employment discrimination)
- National Security
- Prisoners' rights (e.g., incarceration disparity, death penalty)
- Religion/freedom of expression (e.g., religious expression, right to demonstrate)
- Right to water
- Women's issues (e.g., disparate pay, pregnancy discrimination, CEDAW)
- Workers' issues (e.g., human trafficking, sex workers)
- Youth/children's rights