Next U.S. Government Universal Period Review To Take Place in 2015
- Join the UPR Listserve. USHRN will post periodic updates through the listserv to keep members and partners abreast of UPR activities.
- Sign up for a working group!
ABOUT THE UPR: The UPR is a full review of the human rights record of all countries that are members of the United Nations. It takes place every four years and offers an important opportunity to measure how the United States is meeting human rights obligations, including those related to economic, social and cultural rights. It offers opportunity to pressure the government to meet fully those obligations. The U.S. Government report is due the UN on January 19, 2015.
USHRN ROLE: USHRN coordinates and facilitates human rights and social justice groups in the U.S. efforts to inform and influence the Review process, and seeks to raise awareness of the international mechanism and its relevance to local groups work.
THE 2010 REVIEW: The U.S. was first reviewed in 2010. USHRN coordinated groups efforts to influence the Review, which culminated in a 423 page civil society compilation submission. USHRN prepared a civil society summary submission. Both the full compilation and the summary were submitted to the UN in April 2010. Click here to read the U.S. Government formal report submitted to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Report Submission Info
The deadline to submit reports for the UPR has passed.
Please note that many of these resources were prepared for the 2010 review. Keep on the lookout for new resources that will provide an overview of the current UPR.
- Meet the USHRN UPR Taskforce!
- UPR Fact Sheet and FAQ
- NEW! Template for One-Pager
- Executive summary of stakeholder reports
- Template for creating a stakeholder report summary or bulleted list
- Template for creating a stakeholder report
- OHCHR Civil Society Guidelines
- Webinar on How to take your human rights story to the UN via UPR (Dec 11)
- Webinar on why and how to engage with the UPR (July 3)
- Webinar on Engaging UPR: Steps for Writing and Submitting a Stakeholder Report (August 20)
- 10 Steps to Writing a UPR Stakeholder Report (by The Advocates for Human Rights)
- Engaging the US Government through UN Advocacy in Human Rights Compliance, a Civil Society Consultation at American University
- Important Dates related to the UPR (as well as other planned 2014 international mechanism reviews).
- Is the UPR worth it? Human Rights at Home blog
- UN Summary of Stakeholder Submissions
- Summary of March 2011 U.S. Government Responses to UPR Recommendations
- 2011 Report of the Working Group of the UPR on US (with recommendations)
- UPR Housing Report from April 2010
- UPR Housing two pager from June 2010
- HUD UPR follow up minutes from January 2011
- HUD UPR follow up letter from January 2011
- Summary overview of the UPR process (by Urban Justice Center)
- UPR Toolkit (by Urban Justice Center)
- Click here to view a video by former USHRN Executive Director Ajamu Baraka, which also provides an overview of the 2010 UPR.