Next U.S. Government Universal Period Review To Take Place in 2015
- September 5, 2014 - Reports to be included in USHRN executive summary due to USHRN
- September 15, 2014 - UPR Civil Society Reports DUE to the UN!
For the UPR review, reports must be submitted through the UN Portal. Check out the UN technical guidelines and stakeholder pages for more info. If you would like your report to be included in the USHRN executive summary of civil society reports, you must (in addition to submitting via the UN portal by September 15), send your report to email@example.com by September 5.
Click here to learn important dates related to the UPR (as well as other planned 2014 international mechanism reviews).
Get involved by joining the UPR Listserve. USHRN will post periodic updates through the listserv to keep members and partners abreast of UPR activities.
Meet the USHRN UPR Taskforce!
ABOUT THE UPR: The UPR is a full review of the human rights record of all countries that are members of the United Nations. It takes place every four years and offers an important opportunity to measure how the United States is meeting human rights obligations, including those related to economic, social and cultural rights. It offers opportunity to pressure the government to meet fully those obligations. The U.S. Government report is due the UN on January 19, 2015.
USHRN ROLE: USHRN coordinates and facilitates human rights and social justice groups in the U.S. efforts to inform and influence the Review process, and seeks to raise awareness of the international mechanism and its relevance to local groups work.
THE 2010 REVIEW: The U.S. was first reviewed in 2010. USHRN coordinated groups efforts to influence the Review, which culminated in a 423 page civil society compilation submission. USHRN prepared a civil society summary submission. Both the full compilation and the summary were submitted to the UN in April 2010. Click here to read the U.S. Government formal report submitted to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Please note that many of these resources were prepared for the 2010 review. Keep on the lookout for new resources that will provide an overview of the current UPR.
- Template for creating a stakeholder report
- OHCHR Civil Society Guidelines
- Webinar on why and how to engage with the UPR
- Webinar on Engaging the Universal Periodic Review (UPR): Steps for Writing and Submitting a Stakeholder Report (July 20, 2014)
- PDF of Webinar Presentation on Writing and Submitting Stakeholder Reports
- 10 Steps to Writing a UPR Stakeholder Report (by The Advocates for Human Rights)
- Engaging the US Government through UN Advocacy in Human Rights Compliance, a Civil Society Consultation at American University
- Summary of March 2011 U.S. Government Responses to UPR Recommendations
- 2011 Report of the Working Group of the UPR on US (with recommendations)
- UPR Housing Report from April 2010
- UPR Housing one pager from June 2010
- HUD UPR follow up minutes from January 2011
- HUD UPR follow up letter from January 2011
- Summary overview of the UPR process (by Urban Justice Center)
- UPR Toolkit (by Urban Justice Center)
- Click here to view a video by former USHRN Executive Director Ajamu Baraka, which also provides an overview of the 2010 UPR.