Next U.S. Government Universal Period Review To Take Place the second week of March, 2015
The UPR is a full review of the human rights record of all countries that are members of the United Nations.
- Join the UPR Listserv. USHRN will post periodic updates through the listserv to keep members and partners abreast of UPR activities.
- Sign up for a working group!
- Check out our Calendar of Events in the US and Geneva for March - May 2015
ABOUT THE UPR: The UPR is a full review of the human rights record of all countries that are members of the United Nations. It takes place every four years and offers an important opportunity to measure how the United States is meeting human rights obligations, including those related to economic, social and cultural rights. It offers opportunity to pressure the government to meet fully those obligations. The U.S. Government submitted their report to the UN on February 2, 2015, it can be found here. USHRN is sending a deleagtion to Geneva March 16-20, 2015 to advocate prior to the UPR review in May. The review will take place in Geneva on May 11, 2015. The troika - or three country delegates assiting the U.S. review - were selected in January 2015 (Botswana, Netherlands, and Saudi Arabia).
USHRN ROLE: USHRN coordinates and facilitates human rights and social justice groups in the U.S. efforts to inform and influence the Review process, and seeks to raise awareness of the international mechanism and its relevance to local groups work.
THE 2010 REVIEW: The U.S. was first reviewed in 2010. USHRN coordinated groups efforts to influence the Review, which culminated in a 423 page civil society compilation submission. USHRN prepared a civil society summary submission. Both the full compilation and the summary were submitted to the UN in April 2010. Click here to read the U.S. Government formal report submitted to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Scholarships: See here for more infomation on the scholarships for the March 2015 Delegation.
Report Submission Info
The deadline to submit reports for the UPR has passed, but there is still time to join a working group, lobby, and create advocacy documents.
- Meet the USHRN UPR Taskforce!
- UPR Fact Sheet and FAQ
- NEW! Template for One-Pager
- 2015 Executive summary of stakeholder reports by USHRN members & partners
- Civil Society Working Groups Description and Function
- Template for creating a stakeholder report summary or bulleted list
- Template for creating a stakeholder report
- OHCHR Civil Society Guidelines
- U.S. Government UPR Report (February 2015)
- Contacting UN Mission's in the US to Lobby for your Issue - Consult the Blue Book
- Contacting UN Mission's in Geneva to Lobby
- UPR Info's Database of UPR Recommendations and Voluntary Pledges
- Webinar on How to take your human rights story to the UN via UPR (Dec 11)
- Webinar on why and how to engage with the UPR (July 3)
- Webinar on Engaging UPR: Steps for Writing and Submitting a Stakeholder Report (August 20)
- U.S. Govt Consultation on Environmental Issues Relating to the UPR: A Summary
- 10 Steps to Writing a UPR Stakeholder Report (by The Advocates for Human Rights)
- Engaging the US Government through UN Advocacy in Human Rights Compliance, a Civil Society Consultation at American University
- Important Dates related to the UPR (as well as other planned 2014 international mechanism reviews).
- Is the UPR worth it? Human Rights at Home blog
- USHRN Statement at UN HRC General Debate on Minority Issues (March 18, 2015)
- USHRN Statement at UN HRC Debate on State of Racial Discrimination World Wide (March 20, 2015)
- UN Summary of Stakeholder Submissions
- Summary of March 2011 U.S. Government Responses to UPR Recommendations
- 2011 Report of the Working Group of the UPR on US (with recommendations)
- U.S. Government Responses to the UPR: Human Rights Reference Guide for Advocates and Activists (by Urban Justice Center)
- UPR Housing Report from April 2010
- UPR Housing two pager from June 2010
- HUD UPR follow up minutes from January 2011
- HUD UPR follow up letter from January 2011
- Summary overview of the UPR process (by Urban Justice Center)
- UPR Toolkit (by Urban Justice Center)
- Click here to view a video by former USHRN Executive Director Ajamu Baraka, which also provides an overview of the 2010 UPR.
(Image credit: Wikimedia)