Tremendous progress was made at the CAT review! To see what happened, take a look at the review album by clicking the photo below or check out the story board page.
The U.S. Government review under the Convention Against Torture (background info) took place in Geneva on November 12 and 13, with related events throughout that week. Below you'll find links to relevant news stories, blog posts, images, etc.
To see what happened on social media, search for #EndTorture or #UNCAT.
Watch the webcast recording of the formal review sessions on this UN site: www.treatybodywebcast.org/category/webcast-archives/
If you'd like to receive email updates about CAT in the future, join the CAT listserv now.
- UN OHCHR Quarterly Newsletter (25th addition) - Civil society coordination for effective engagement with the Committee
against Torture (p. 6) - OHCHR
- U.S. Defends Alleged Abuses of Torture Treaty to U.N. Body Newsweek
- UN Committee against Torture to review Sweden, Ukraine, Venezuela, Australia, Burundi, USA, Croatia, Kazakhstan UN OHCHR
- Demecracy Now! covers UN CAT review Go to time mark 9:12
- Zero-Hour In Geneva: Will Obama Seal His Legacy On Torture? Huffington Post
- Obama administration reverses Bush policy, says US torture ban applies abroad The Intercept
- From Guantanamo to Ferguson: America's Torture Record Comes Under Scrutiny VICE
- US admits it 'crossed the line' on torture RTE News
- Former Gitmo Detainee: ‘It Is Time to Prosecute Those Responsible for My Torture’ The Nation
- U.S. affirming that U.N. torture ban applies overseas, on Guantánamo and U.S. ships at sea Miami Herald
- United Nations To Hear Activists' Report on Alleged Abuse by Chicago Police DNAinfo
- City says homeless report blasting St. Pete is yesterday's news Tampa Bay Times
- An Innocent Man, Tortured by the U.S., Asks the UN: Where's the Accountability? The Intercept
- A tough cell: US to defend solitary confinement use before UN Al Jazeera
- The Declaration of No Human Rights VICE
- The story of one. Trafficked Boys: Vandalized innocence hidden in plain sight Communities Digital News
- Op-ed: Why The U.N. Must Consider The Cruelty Behind Ex-Gay Therapy Advocate.com
- Libyan former CIA detainees say US torture inquiry never interviewed them The Guardian
- US Government to Go Before UN Committee Against Torture & Defend Solitary Confinement FireDogLake
- Doubt cast over US torture investigation as more CIA detainees come forward The Guardian
- UN Committee Against Torture Asks American Officials To Answer For Lapses In Complying With Treaty International Business Times
- UN Committee Against Torture Grills US Delegation Over Record Complying with Treaty Ban FireDogLake
- U.S. Tells U.N. Panel of Steps to Revise Interrogation Policy New York Times
- Committee Against Torture Considers the Report of the United States UN Office at Geneva
- Protests as US defends record before UN anti-torture body Global Post
- UN panel questions gay conversion therapy in US msnbc
- Op-ed: The U.N.'s Collective Gasp When Addressing Conversion Therapy Advocate.com
- US Delegation Contrite At UN Review On Torture MintPressNews
- At the United Nations, Chicago Activists Protest Police Brutality The Atlantic
- Chicago Activists 'Charge Genocide' at United Nations Ebony News
News Specific to Lesley McSpadden and Michael Brown Sr.
- Michael Brown's parents address U.N.: 'We need the world to know' CNN
- Michael Brown's parents to speak to U.N. committee USA Today
- Michael Brown family headlines delegation to UN panel in Geneva msnbc
- Michael Brown's parents to testify before UN about Ferguson police violence The Guardian
- Mike Brown’s Mom Is Taking Her Son’s Case to the UN in Geneva VICE
- Michael Brown's parents to speak at UN three months after unarmed 18-year-old was shot dead by Ferguson police officer Daily Mail UK
We Charge Genocide video blog series
- Ric And Breanna On Our First Day In Geneva!
- WCG to Geneva: Day 2 And 3: Ethan And Asha On Presenting To The UN
- WCG to Geneva, Day 4: Page & Monica Recap UN Questioning The U.S.
- WCG to Geneva, Day 5: Malcolm & Todd Speak On The US Response to UN
Eric Tars (Ntl. Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty) video blog series
USHRN blog posts
- Powerful, Moving Stories by Directly Impacted Individuals During CAT Side-Event in Geneva Bina Patel
- The UN Committee against Torture Asked U.S. about Long Term Solitary Confinement and Lack of Access to Medical Care Jihad Abdulmumit
- The Call for Freedom for US Held Political Prisoners Jihad Abdulmumit
Other blog posts
- Committee Against Torture Weighs in on U.S. Immigration Policy Int Law Grrls
- WCG Walks Out on US Gov’t Representatives at the UN We Charge Genocide
- Report from Geneva: The Committee Against Torture Pushes the U.S. on Youth and Gender Issues Human Rights at Home
- Statement on U.S. Review Before the United Nations Committee Against Torture Center for Victims of Torture
- The U.N. Puts America on the Hot Seat for Torture ACLU
- Report on Israel "Reefa" Hernandez's Death Filed With UN Committee Against Torture Miami New Times blog
- Former Guantanamo Detainee Addresses UN Committee Against Torture to Ask for U.S. Accountability and Closure of Prison Center for Constitutional Rights
- UN Human Rights Panel Addresses 'Ex-Gay' Torture The Bilerico Project
- Amnesty International Responds to USA's Recognition that the Convention Against Torture Applies at Guantánamo Amnesty
- UN Scrutinizes Obama Administration's Policies on Torture Truthout
- United States Clarifies Position on Extraterritorial Application of Torture Convention Human Rights First
- Video: Statement on police rape Black Women's Blueprint
- Dispatches: US Needs To Recognize Privacy Rights – For Everyone Human Rights Watch
- UN Committee Reviews US on Police Brutality and Gender-Based Violence Feminist Majority Foundation
- Father of Mike Brown: "If I Could Have Stood Between Officer Wilson’s Gun and My Son, I Would Have."
- Center for Victims of Torture Welcomes Committee against Torture Review of United States
Overview of CAT - a blog post from the Human Rights at Home blog
If you have anything you'd like to submit to be posted here, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Photo by kashklick)
(Home page photo by Justin Norman)